This past Saturday I had a date with my favourite people (Misty) to see a movie we have been waiting to see for years – The Veronica Mars Movie.
I’ve been planning on writing this post for a few days now. Initially, I was going to post a whole review, but a quick search will show you that the internet was flooded with Veronica Mars movie reviews this week, so in the interest of time I am going to share just a few random thoughts.
I went into the movie with high expectations and I wasn’t disappointed. The snark was still there, the catch phrases and all the old characters. Simply put, it was absolutely everything I wanted to see in the movie. It has been described as a “love letter to fans” and I think that is completely accurate. I smiled through most of the movie. I actually think Keith’s reaction when he sees Veronica perfectly sums up my feelings on the film.
I did have a few nitpicks. In no particular order they are –
1. Leighton Meester wasnt around to reprise her role as Carrie Bishop, which wouldn’t have been such a big deal if Carrie was in the movie a whole lot, but really most of it was still pictures and short video clips. The whole movie was filmed in 24 days – I just find it hard to believe Ms. Meester had so much going on that she couldn’t take a day or two to film this.
2. Weevil had almost no story line and the story line he had was completely contrived and unresolved. It was clear that his only purpose was to leave things open for a sequel, and for them to find some way to get Francis Capra in the movie. Don’t get me wrong – I’m glad we got a chance to catch up with the character, but if he wasn’t in the movie the story wouldn’t have changed much.
3. Logan is a dream boat. He was dreamy when he was an ass on the show and he is still dreamy now, but the uniform in the scene where he pics V up from the airport did not fit him well. Thankfully it was made up with this scene….
My favourite parts –
- Any scene with Dick in it. He is so funny and probably has the best one liners other than Veronica
- When V gives the guy the lipstick finger while waiting for her interview
- When Veronica texted her dad from the cupboard. It was one of those scenes where I was on the edge of my seat, even though I knew nothing would happen to our heroine.
- The 5 minutes after, “Don’t go”
- The surprise cameo in the 09er.
- The quote from A Few Good Men (that one’s for you, Min)
After the movie Misty and I grabbed some burgers and debriefed.
Our whole conversation was, “Omigod! When….” “squeeee!!!’ “And then when he said….” “squeee!!!”. One minute we are 32 year old successful mother and career woman, the next, blubbering 15 year olds. What can I say? We’re marshmallows!