At the beginning of the year I made a list of resolutions – two large and a bunch of smaller ones. Below is how I am doing three months (plus a few cheeky weeks) into the year.
1. Lose 20 lbs – Okay – this has not been great. I actually gained a few pounds after I wrote the initial post, then dropped them, so last week I was about the same as I was when I wrote my initial post. But last weekend….well…..I never eat well when I go home to visit my parents. Home cooked meals, ritual trip to McDonald’s before bingo with my 90-year-old aunt, and jetting from sister, to Misty, to mother, and back again leaves me drained. Today I am up a few pounds from last week. BUT, I have been going to spin class more lately, tracking my food on My Fitness Pal (username is ashleighbog if you want to follow me), and I have gone for my first outdoor run of the season. I really think the nicer weather and moving to the new place will help me achieve my goals. Now that I will be driving to and from work, I literally have to drive past my gym. I am not naïve enough to think there won’t be days where I keep driving, but I am much more likely to go than I am now. It’s much harder to find motivation to go the gym once I am home in my warm apartment.
2. Reduce my credit card debt by 25% – Done! Kind of? In my first post I mentioned that I wanted to buy a house. Well, I did! When I applied for my mortgage I also got a line of credit to pay off my credit card. Lower interest rate and scheduled monthly payments mean that this debt will be paid off in two years but I think it’s actually going to be rolled into my mortgage, so technically the credit card debt will be completely gone by the end of May. That being said – I now have waaaay more debt than before, but a mortgage is technically considered good debt, so this one is a win!
These are goals that are less measurable than the big ones above, and with the exception of one, are kind of done or not done. Not really a path I am following, but just little things I would like to accomplish by this time next year.
- Read 20 books – 2 of 20. I need to make more time to read and stop reading books with over 1000 pages! Damn you, Outlander!
- Go to the farmers market at 7:00 am (right when it opens!) – doing this in the summer. Mike wants to join!
- Run a 5k – this will be scheduled in the fall after I have all summer to enjoy running outside
purge all the junk in my bedroom that I have been meaning to throw away since I moved– done! Moving motivated me!
- organize the corner cupboard with all the pots and pans (seriously, its like the worlds worst game of Jenga in that cupboard) – this will be done when I move
- do NaNoWriMo – In November (that’s the No of NaNoWriMo)
- one week completely TV free – I’m thinking this will happen in Nov to help with NaNoWriMo
- get an “excellent” on my French report card – latest report was last week, no excellent, but I got 15 Tres Biens, that’s 8 more than last semester!
So, I’m making progress. I really think my next update will have more things checked off the list. I am getting serious about the weight loss. Hearing my mother ask me why I think I’m fat was really humbling. I am definitely not fat, but I am rounder than I want to be. I am built like Marilyn Monroe (no joke), so I’m never going to look like Keira Knightly, but by cracking down on the high calorie meals and getting back into running, I think I can take a few pounds off.
My next update will be in
late June early July, so stay tuned for my progress!