At the beginning of the year I made a list of resolutions – two large and a bunch of smaller ones. Well, it’s half way through the year, so it’s just about time to check in and see how much progress is being made.
1. Lose 20 lbs – Okay, just like last time, this one isn’t great. I committed to focusing more on this goal after my move and I am really holding myself to it. So much so, that I think there will be a lot more health and fitness posts coming in the future. I have no plans to turn this into a Healthy Living Blog but this blog focuses on my life, and health will be a big part of my life in the upcoming months. I have made some changes recently that I am proud of. I have started bringing my lunch to work much more often (like 3-4 times a week as opposed to maybe once every two weeks) and the lunches I bring are healthy. Frequently in my lunch bag you will see salads with chicken, or ground chicken taco meat (my fave!) over romaine with lotsa veggies, humus and pretzel crisps, sliced red peppers, grapefruit and apples. My work has an awesome cafeteria with a great salad bar, but they also have hot entrees that heavily feature french fries as a side dish. When I don’t bring my lunch, I have to get in a line and more frequently than not I was picking the french fry line. Now I don’t give myself the option. I am also being more conscious about what I eat when I am out for dinner. Last week Misty thought I was texting at the table but really I was comparing calorie counts between salads! I still allow myself treats because I know that completely overhauling a diet is doomed to fail – life without wine is no life at all, but I know these small changes are going to start paying off.
I am also hitting the gym more often. Now that I drive to work, I pass my gym on the way home. At least three nights a week I go in for a work out. I tell myself I have to go for a half an hour. After that I can leave, but I am committed for at least a half hour. This is enough time to get a good sweat on without really impacting my life. I get home at 5:30 and still have a full evening ahead of me. This habit is fairly new, so I am not really seeing any results from it yet, but again, it’s all about starting small and growing.
2. Reduce my credit card debt by 25% – Done! Paid off with a loan at a lower interest rate. I still use my credit card but I am learning to use it responsibly. It gets paid off each month and is only used for big purchases like my new coffee tables or my weekend get away to Ottawa. Honestly, there is no way an 18-year-old should be allowed to have a credit card! I have yet to meet one who knows how to use it responsibly.
These are goals that are less measurable than the big ones above, and with the exception of one, are kind of done or not done. Not really a path I am following, but just little things I would like to accomplish by this time next year.
- Read 20 books – 6 of 20. Big progress since the last update, but I’m a little stalled lately. Need to pick that book back up.
Go to the farmers market at 7:00 am (right when it opens!)– Done! When I wrote this goal I though I would go to the Guelph farmer’s market, but I actually went to the big one in St. Jacobs on my staycation.
- Run a 5k – this will be scheduled in the fall after I have all summer to enjoy running outside
purge all the junk in my bedroom that I have been meaning to throw away since I moved– done! organize the corner cupboard with all the pots and pans (seriously, its like the worlds worst game of Jenga in that cupboard)– Done!I have beautiful new corner cupboards in the new place that never get disorganized.
- do NaNoWriMo – In November (that’s the No of NaNoWriMo)
- one week completely TV free – I’m thinking this will happen in Nov to help with NaNoWriMo
get an “excellent” on my French report card–Done! I actually got two on my most recent report. I was very excited to see them!
I can see that my focus has shifted from money to weight. It’s really no surprise that these two issues go hand in hand and I can tell you with absolute certainty that getting a handle on my finances has really motivated me to get a handle on my weight. Again, I think you will start to see this trend in the blog. Another update will be coming around the end of September, after all the summer fun and my birthday. Hopefully there will be some good news to share.
How are you doing with your goals, Blogsters?